On transfer.
So I'm gonna transfer; yes, I am. This is the answer I've got, after three days of thinking. Three days is short, I know, not to mention that the past three days had been filled with work, school and meetings. But still, I know this is THE choice.
Over the past three days I've been talking to many, many people. My colleagues and managers at Google, high school friends, seniors at Ivy Leagues/Oxbridge, strangers introduced by friends, etc. I received a wide variety of opinions -- all of which had been extremely helpful -- and I'm really grateful to all the people who kindly talked to me. And yes, I think I've reached my conclusion.
I think life has a lot more possibilities than it seems.
Japan has been great, and Tokyo has been great -- this is what I've been telling people, and I'm more than sincere. Words cannot describe how much I love this place, everything from anime culture to splendid scenes of four seasons. People here are great, food here is divine, life here is simply wonderful. And leaving here is one of the hardest choice I've ever made.
I still remember that, while watching the 2016 Olympics closing ceremony just for the 5 minutes' of Japan, I cried. It'd be so sad if I cannot be here in 2020, I thought. And it happened.
Many of my friends were actually quite against me leaving Japan. I myself hesitated for a long time too. It seems that I can get everything I want here in the shortest time and with the least effort -- my dream job, visa to stay abroad forever, degree from a renowned university, stable and comfortable life, house and car and cat, everything.
But then, as LH said, it all boils down to the question: what do I want in life.
I will have a job. I will have money. I will have a house, a car, a cat, no matter what -- I have faith in myself. So why should these matter now? Why should I let them limit the possibility of my life? 私らしくない。Even internship at Google, or a job at Google isn't something that great; what I eventually want to achieve, is more than that. Way more than that. So knowledge is important. Schooling is important. People whom I meet are important. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I've learnt after skipping so many lessons and being so anti-social throughout the years in college so far, is that lessons ARE important and talking to people IS important. Now, after saying "school is fucking useless" for so many times, all in a sudden I realize how important it is. Which is exactly why I'm changing my mind. I've already wasted so much time, why should I waste more?
So I will apply. No matter whether I will leave Tokyo or not in the end, I will apply for transfer. And we'll see.
Over the past three days I've been talking to many, many people. My colleagues and managers at Google, high school friends, seniors at Ivy Leagues/Oxbridge, strangers introduced by friends, etc. I received a wide variety of opinions -- all of which had been extremely helpful -- and I'm really grateful to all the people who kindly talked to me. And yes, I think I've reached my conclusion.
I think life has a lot more possibilities than it seems.
Japan has been great, and Tokyo has been great -- this is what I've been telling people, and I'm more than sincere. Words cannot describe how much I love this place, everything from anime culture to splendid scenes of four seasons. People here are great, food here is divine, life here is simply wonderful. And leaving here is one of the hardest choice I've ever made.
I still remember that, while watching the 2016 Olympics closing ceremony just for the 5 minutes' of Japan, I cried. It'd be so sad if I cannot be here in 2020, I thought. And it happened.
Many of my friends were actually quite against me leaving Japan. I myself hesitated for a long time too. It seems that I can get everything I want here in the shortest time and with the least effort -- my dream job, visa to stay abroad forever, degree from a renowned university, stable and comfortable life, house and car and cat, everything.
But then, as LH said, it all boils down to the question: what do I want in life.
I will have a job. I will have money. I will have a house, a car, a cat, no matter what -- I have faith in myself. So why should these matter now? Why should I let them limit the possibility of my life? 私らしくない。Even internship at Google, or a job at Google isn't something that great; what I eventually want to achieve, is more than that. Way more than that. So knowledge is important. Schooling is important. People whom I meet are important. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I've learnt after skipping so many lessons and being so anti-social throughout the years in college so far, is that lessons ARE important and talking to people IS important. Now, after saying "school is fucking useless" for so many times, all in a sudden I realize how important it is. Which is exactly why I'm changing my mind. I've already wasted so much time, why should I waste more?
So I will apply. No matter whether I will leave Tokyo or not in the end, I will apply for transfer. And we'll see.
Comments
Post a Comment